Cities to determine their own SPLOST projects

McDONOUGH — While the Henry County SPLOST Committee has been looking at recommending county projects for the next SPLOST, the county’s four cities have been tasked to determine their own projects for SPLOST V.

According to Clayton Carte, chairman of the county’s SPLOST Committee, the county will receive 75 percent of the SPLOST sales tax, while the remaining 25 percent will be divided between the four cities, based on population.

The cities will decide how that 25 percent is spent.

“This committee is only looking at the county funding,” Carte said. “Each city can develop their own projects on their own. The cities are starting to have those discussions at their level. Later in the summer, the cities will discuss with the BOC any potential city-county projects.”

Carte said that when SPLOST IV was formulated, the cities used the population numbers from the 2010 Census to determine how the monies would be divided.

According to the U.S. Census Bureau’s estimates as of July 1, 2017, Stockbridge is the most populous city in Henry County, with a population of 29,114. McDonough is the second-most populous with a population of 24,755, followed by Hampton with 7,732 and then Locust Grove with a population of 6,715.

At the SPLOST Committee’s December 13, 2018 meeting, David Smith, the county’s financial services director, said the county expects to collect around $220 million over the five-year span of the sales tax. He also projected the county will end up collecting $208-210 million once SPLOST IV is done.

SPLOST V will be on the November ballot for Henry County residents.

If voters approve the proposal in November, the sales tax will begin collections in 2020, replacing SPLOST IV, which ends at the conclusion of the 2019 calendar year.

Stay Informed

Government Reporter

A native of Hampton, Georgia, Joe Adgie has worked for the Valdosta Daily Times, Clayton News, Rockdale Citizen and Newton Citizen. Adgie joined the Henry Herald in April 2018.