McDONOUGH — As of Tuesday afternoon, the Confederate monument in the McDonough Square remains where it’s been for over 100 years.
A request for a price quote to have the statue removed indicated the county would take down it down on Monday night. But on Monday afternoon, Melissa Robinson, Henry County public information director, said the city had not yet signed a contract for the work.
Calls to the Henry County public information department on Tuesday to learn the status of possible contracts between the county and any removal company went unanswered.
Attempts to halt the monument’s removal have been made via the court system since the Henry County Board of Commissioners voted on July 7 to take it down.
The same day as the vote, the Georgia Division of the Sons of Confederate Veterans filed a temporary restraining order and complaint to halt its removal. On Friday, July 24, Judge Brian Amero denied the group’s request.
Kyle King, attorney for the Sons of Confederate Veterans, filed an emergency motion for reconsideration and a stay of legal proceedings Monday. The argument claims a lease agreement between the county and the city of McDonough dated Aug. 7, 1984 remains in effect and that “neither the county nor the city has given the other notice of intent to cancel said lease agreement.”
According to the lease, “said park shall always remain under the leased control, and supervision of the governing authority of the city of McDonough during the term of the lease.”
The agreement states it will be “year-to-year and shall automatically renew each year unless cancelled in writing by either party upon 30 days’ written notice.”
Because of the lease, the new filing says the county “lacks authority to come upon the courthouse square to remove the monument.”
In response, County Attorney Patrick Jaugstetter pointed out, among many reasons, that the Sons of Confederate Veterans are not party to the “purported” lease agreement, therefore “lack standing to seek to enforce the lease agreement.”
As of Tuesday at 2:45 p.m. no ruling had been submitted on the latest round of attempts to stop the county from removing the monument.