McDonoughlogo.jpg

McDONOUGH — The city of McDonough has elected to sign an intergovernmental agreement that would distribute 25% of the SPLOST V revenue to Henry County’s four cities.

The McDonough City Council voted to support the IGA following an executive session at Monday’s meeting, but members didn’t explicitly say what the intergovernmental agreement contained.

However, according to agreement documents supplied to the Herald by McDonough City Clerk Janis Price, the IGA states that 25% of SPLOST revenue would be distributed to the four cities for the funding of their own SPLOST projects.

This is a departure from a late-stage proposal brought out by several cities, but most notably the city of Hampton. That proposal would have called for 30% of SPLOST revenues distributed between Henry County’s four cities, while the remaining 70% would be used by the county for its projects.

Supporters of the 70/30 revenue split argue that the cities would get more of a fair share of the sales tax proceeds since the four cities make up around 30% of the county’s population.

However, Henry County officials have made it clear that they will not support an intergovernmental agreement that would involve the 70/30 split, arguing that the county has operated under the belief that SPLOST V would include a 75/25 split.

In fact, last week at a Henry County Board of Commissioners meeting, the board approved the 75/25 revenue split and a hard deadline of July 19 for the four cities to get their project lists turned in to the county.

McDonough’s project list includes $18.6 million for roads, bridges, sidewalks and transportation facilities, $6.8 million for public safety facilities and equipment, $250,000 for public works facilities and equipment, $3.15 million in community development facilities and $880,000 in parks and recreation facilities.

Government Reporter

A native of Hampton, Georgia, Joe Adgie has worked for the Valdosta Daily Times, Clayton News, Rockdale Citizen and Newton Citizen. Adgie joined the Henry Herald in April 2018.

Stay Informed