StockbridgeOfficialLogo.jpg

STOCKBRIDGE — The Stockbridge City Council approved its SPLOST project list at the regular meeting on Monday, a project list that reflected a 70/30 revenue split.

Under that revenue split, the city of Stockbridge would receive an estimated $31 million in revenue.

According to the project list, $15 million has been earmarked for civic projects and buildings, $7 million for roads and other transportation projects, $7 million for sewer, water and stormwater infrastructure and $2.3 million has been tapped for park improvements.

With Stockbridge’s approval, three of the four cities in Henry County have gone on record in supporting the proposed 70/30 revenue split, which would give 70% of SPLOST V revenue to Henry County and the other 30% to be split between the four cities.

However, the county has stated that they would not support a 70/30 revenue split with an intergovernmental agreement. If the SPLOST goes without an intergovernmental agreement, the tax collection goes from six years to five, the county takes 20% off the top for their own projects, and cities will get the equivalent of four years of SPLOST revenue.

The four cities and the county are meeting on Thursday and could possibly decide the future of SPLOST V.

Regardless of whether SPLOST V is a 75/25 split, as the county has wanted, or a 70/30 split, which three of the cities have wanted, Stockbridge would receive the largest share of SPLOST funds among the four cities, as, according to the 2010 Census, Stockbridge is the most populous city in the county.

As of the 2010 census, Stockbridge had a population of 25,636, or 12.6% of the entire county’s population.

Government Reporter

A native of Hampton, Georgia, Joe Adgie has worked for the Valdosta Daily Times, Clayton News, Rockdale Citizen and Newton Citizen. Adgie joined the Henry Herald in April 2018.

Stay Informed