At least 40 rounds were fired during a shooting that left two people dead and over a dozen others injured at a house party in upstate New York, authorities said.

The party in Rochester started early Saturday as an invite-only event before it eventually grew in size after two nearby parties "infiltrated" the house. Three or four people had handguns, Capt. Frank Umbrino said.

The two people killed and 14 wounded were in their late teens to early 20s. Police responded to calls of gunshots around 12:25 a.m. and were met with 100 to 200 people attempting to flee on foot and in vehicles, he said.

Those killed did not live at the home and they were not the intended targets, Umbrino said. No suspects were in custody, and no motive was immediately known.

"A number of our young people -- babies -- that came to just hang out a little while ... left running for their lives. And that's just something that we cannot have happen," Mayor Lovely Warren said during a visit to the neighborhood Saturday.

The party's host told her she "invited a couple friends over, who invited a couple friends over who invited a couple friends over."

"And it just got out of control. She's just traumatized," Warren said.

Warren appealed for calm and healing in a city recently roiled by protests in a different high-profile case -- the death of Daniel Prude after an encounter with police earlier this year.

The party took place despite several restrictions on gatherings. Because of the coronavirus pandemic, the city has told residents to limit social gatherings to household members and not to gather in groups.

Additionally, since July, the city has banned gatherings of more than five people from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. to curb what the city said was a rise in violence.

Police were not aware of the party beforehand, and had not received any calls for disturbance, Acting Police Chief Mark Simmons said.

The shooting comes as the city and police department deal with the case of Prude, who died in March after Rochester police pinned him to the ground. The release of body camera footage this month led to protests and accusations that local leaders hid details about Prude's death from the public.

This week, Simmons succeeded the previous chief, who was fired over the fallout. A New York City law firm is leading an independent investigation into the city's handling of the case. Also, New York 's attorney general has said she would empanel a grand jury to investigate Prude's death.

CNN's Jason Hanna, Christina Maxouris, Alec Snyder and Alta Spells contributed to this report.

Support Local Journalism

Now, more than ever, the world needs trustworthy reporting—but good journalism isn’t free. Please support us by subscribing or making a contribution today.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Please log in, or sign up for a new, free account to read or post comments.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.